In order to become a licensed security guard in the state of Texas, you must currently be employed, or be in the process of being employed, by a licensed security agency. To be hired by one of these agencies you will have to meet the requirements that follow:
- Be a citizen of the United States or be able to provide an alien registration card and the proper authorization to work in the United States
- You must be 18 years or older
- You can have no felony convictions in your background
- You must pass a drug test
- You must be mentally competent
- You cannot have been issued a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the military
- You must not have been indicted with a Class A or B misdemeanor
- You cannot be on a sex offenders registry in the state
- You must meet the fitness requirements
How to get a Security Guard License in Texas
A commissioned security guard has the right to carry a firearm while they are performing their duties. In order to have this level of security guard license you will need:
- To meet all of the criteria of an unarmed security guard that is listed above
- Not have any restraining orders under your name in the state
- You must pass skill requirements with a firearm
- You must be able to exercise good judgment according to the licensing agency
- You cannot suffer from a psychiatric disorder, if you have suffered from a disorder like this in the past you will need a signed document from your psychiatrist that says you are able to make good judgment decisions and are not affected by your past condition
Level II Training
In order to be a licensed security guard in the state of Texas you will have to successfully complete a level II training course. During level II training you will study:
- The rules of state laws and state board
- How to take professional notes
- How to fill out a professional incident report
Level II training must be from a certified facility. This training is conducted in a 6 hour course that teaches you all of the basic things you need to know to be an unarmed or commissioned security guard.
There are both in person-level II training classes and online level II training classes. You have to take a refresher every 2 years to keep your license up to date and valid.
Relevant Career Articles:
- How to Become a Bail Bondsman in Texas
- How to Become a Justice of the Peace in Texas
- How to Become a Contractor in Texas
- How to Become a Constable in Texas
Submit an application
You can submit your application to become a licensed security guard either online, or via the mail services.
Pass a Background Check
You will need to pass an FBI background check. This is a fingerprint-based check that you will need to pay for. The cost of the check is $25 dollars, and this background check should be sent in with your application.
You will need to register via Identogo and receive a department issued Fast Pass on your fingerprints. Identogo manages the electronic fingerprint database and you can go to their online website at http://www.identogo.com/FP/texas.aspx to register with them.