To become an electrician in Texas, you need to obtain a license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). There are three different categories of electrical licenses available for electricians in Texas. They are Apprentice Electrician license, Residential wireman license, and Master Electrician license.
Apprentice Electrician License
To be eligible to apply for an apprentice electrician license, you must be at least 16 years of age. You must also be physically fit to carry out electrical works with years of experience working under the watch of a supervisor.
The Apprentice electrician licensee must have undergone training and is supervised by a journeyman or master electrician. Apprentice work as assistants to licensed electricians with different types of electrical works like wiring and installation. To apply for an apprentice license, you need to pay a sum of $20.
Residential Wireman License
To be eligible to apply for a residential wireman license, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible
- Attain 4,000 hours of training on the job
- Fill and submit an experience verification form
- Register and pass the licensing examination
The residential wireman licensee carries out electrical repairs and installation on residential buildings. The application fee for a residential wireman license is between $20 to $40.
Master Electrician License
To apply for a master electrician license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid Texas journeyman electrician license
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Have experience working under the supervision of a master electrician for two years
- Register for the license application examination and pass
How to Get an Electrical License in Texas
In Texas, the electrical industry is a no joking area with a lot of regulations. Applicants for an electrical license must have relevant years of on-the-job experience to be eligible for a journeyman and master electrician license. To apply for a license, you must first apply for a job as an apprentice electrician. Enrolling in an apprenticeship program is also a valid process of application.
Electrician apprenticeship Programs in Texas
You can visit the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation website for a list of available electrical apprenticeship programs. The list provides you with the names and contact information of over 20 electrical apprenticeship programs in Texas.
Electrical Apprenticeship Program in Texas| Information
The application cost for an electrical apprenticeship in Texas is about $25 to $75. To attend a Texas trade school or community college, the fees can be as high as $10,000. However, there are many accredited community colleges and trade schools that are willing to offer financial assistance to apprentices.
Below are the requirements for an electrical apprenticeship program in Texas.
- Journeyman and master license applicants should be at least 18 years to be eligible
- Journeyman and master electrician license applicants should have a high school diploma or GED
- For apprentice license, the applicant should be at least 16 years old
- Own a valid Texas ID card or driver’s license
- Register and pass the required examinations (applicable to master and journeyman license applicants)
The TDLR is responsible for issuing all electrician licenses. As an electrical apprentice, you will obtain the following on-the-job experience to be eligible for a license. They include the installation and the repair of lighting systems and fixtures. The licensee will also need to acquire the skill of replacing electrical wiring systems. The licensee will also be able to identify an electrical problem and restore power to commercial and residential buildings.
Information About Texas License Examination
To be successful for a license, you need to score at least 70%. The Texas License examination costs $100 to $200 and is conducted by PSI Exams. The examination consists of six parts and covers areas from Definition to electrical wiring materials.
The job of an electrician is interesting and rewarding. If you have made up your mind to become an electrician, then you have undoubtedly made a good choice. Find a certified and approved electrician training center and enroll to begin your journey. To enjoy the best benefits as an Electrician, you can join an Electrician Union.
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Become an Approved Apprentice Training Program Provider https://tdlr.texas.gov/electricians/apply/businesses/apprentice-programs
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act https://tdlr.texas.gov/electricians/eleclaw.htm